Sarah Kirk Illustration


Current Projects – Peacock Painting and Folio Society Competition 2012

So am fully back home now all ready to crack on with some brand new projects!

Started this peacock painting project about a year ago and got shamefully behind on it during my 3rd uni year so I think now is the time to take it up again: https://sarahkirk.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/peacock/

Am also very excited about the new House of Illustration/Folio Society book competition, last year’s was ‘The Outsider’ by Albert Camus and I never managed to finish it completely. This year we have Angela Carter’s ‘The Bloody Chamber’ which luckily I not only own but also have already done a project on it! How useful!

My battered old copy:



Three Finished Book Covers

So finally all finished for assessment! Here are my finished covers, pretty pleased with them overall:



A Thousand Splendid Suns #2

Just been tweaking the main design around a bit, I think that this is a softer and more fitting type and I think that the brown textured paper in the background brings the image together and hopefully gives a feeling of domesticity as well as something which is worn and slightly distressed. It’s been tricky sorting out the back and the spine (how do you design these?! I always find them so awkward to get right) but this is a little better for now, when I’m back at uni I’ll have to fine tune all my 3 covers so they are super polished (I wish!)



A Thousand Splendid Suns #1

Aaand finally, on to the last novel that I’m book cover-ing. ¬†Again, sticking with the ‘isolated landscape’ concept, but as this book is very much about a touching relationship between two women in Afghanistan, I thought there should be a bit more relationship in this one. My main idea is to have the 2 main characters Mariam and Laila integrated within the dry mountainous landscape, showing how they are negatively trapped in their culture, but also how they are positively intrinsically bonded to each other. I wanted the text to be a bit bold and imposing as a contrast but I’m not sure about it. Also not sure about the plain white background:

And below is my more simple idea about a deserted desert town, I’m quite pleased with the look of the drawing but I don’t think it encapsulates my idea so well:



Rebecca #1

Started on book number 2, the classic Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. For this one, I would like to keep the same sort of feeling of loneliness and isolation, using traditional English countryside imagery but using a modern style. These covers below are a bit of a failed attempt at conveying what I want to do as they look a bit twee, but they are ok in terms of composition and imagery. The black ink and white paint image at the bottom has the kind of look I would like to use for the covers.



One Hundred Years of Solitude #2

So I really really need to crack these book jackets now the BBC and the Self Promo projects are both out of the way, so here is my progress on it all so far…

This work stems from a previous design, I wanted to jazz it up basically and make the cover look busier and more rich with themes and imagery. I think it is a bit too much, but here it is nonetheless:



H.G Wells Project #17

Have had a bit of tweaking on the covers, just altered the text on the spines and the backs slightly. And I took the author’s name off the front because I didn’t want too much text on the final images. Am quite proud of ‘The History of Mr Polly’ and ‘Tono Bungay’, less so on ‘Ann Veronica’ – would have liked to redo the Victorian lady again. I think they are fairly intriguing and striking as a set which was my intention. And I think I’ve learnt a lot about composing imagery on Photoshop which is quite useful